Bon Tempe Hike
Tuesday, May 7 Meet at 9 am
Meet at the SWC at 9 am and carpool to the trailhead. Hike a moderate, mostly flat, 4.1-mile trail around Bon Tempe Lake. Enjoy beautiful views of Mt. Tam and the lakes as you walk through wooded and open hillsides filled with spring wildflowers. For an easy and shorter 1.8 mile hike, walk around Lake Lagunitas with mosses, redwoods, oaks and great views of the lake and Mt. Tam. After, we will enjoy lunch at Half-Day Cafe in Kentfield. Call Helen Bennett 415-332-4020 or Carolyn Ford 415-419-1711 or send us an email by May 3rd to reserve your spot.
Point Reyes Hike
Wednesday, June 5, 8:30 AM
Meet to carpool at SWC at 8:30 am on Wednesday, June 5, 2019.
This is our last hike for this season. It will be a two-part hike/walk: 1) Palomarin hike to Alamere lookout (moderate 8.2 miles); and 2) Walk—Pt. Reyes Bird Observatory and Duxbury Reef
1. Hiking group will carpool to Palomarin Trailhead. We will hike the Coast trail from Bolinas to Bass and Pelican Lakes, through pine forests, with awesome ocean views and wildflowers galore, to the Alamere Falls outlook. Bring water, hat, sunscreen, and money for lunch at a restaurant in Bolinas.
2. The walking group will carpool to Pt. Reyes Bird Obs. started in 1965 (1st full-time bird obs. in the U. S). This is a designated wilderness area within the GGNRA for netting and banding birds. From there we will go to Duxbury Reef, which is the richest tidepool area of the bay region. Named for ship Duxbury, which ran aground in 1849. The reef is 160 feet below the bluff and extends for 1-1/4 miles into the sea. This thick layer of Monterey shale was deposited undersea 28 million years ago. This is one of the richest areas of sea life; it’s like an abstract paint of coral, algae, clams, mussels, sea stars, etc.
We will then join the hikers at the Coast Cafe at 1:30 for lunch.
Please RSVP by phone or email to Margo Merle for walk (332-5264), and Nancy Curran for hike (332-1289) no later than June 1.
Kirby Cove Full Moon Hike
Saturday, May 18, 6:30 PM
Experience the full moon rising over the Golden Gate while eating al fresco at picnic tables along the scenic shoreline of Kirby Cove! This popular hike will is being offered in the spring for the second time in order to take advantage of the moon rising over the Golden Gate Bridge. We will be able to hike down to the cove in daylight, socialize and dine until the sunsets and hike back in the moonlight.
The Kirby Cove hike is a moderate descent to the beach through a forested cove.
- Bring your own picnic dinner, dishes, utensils and beverages. We’ll supply the tablecloths and dessert for everyone. Potluck dining is encouraged!
- This is an easy hike on a gently sloping dirt road. Usually, the moonlight is all you need to walk back to your car, but bring a flashlight just in case.
- Dress comfortably, with layers
- RSVP to Dana Whitson (415-331-8359).
Directions Kirby Cove: Carpooling is strongly encouraged. Take Alexander Avenue south out of Sausalito and after you pass Fort Baker go under highway 101 to Conzelman Rd. As you head up the hill on Conzelman Rd., you will see the old Battery Spencer to the left. Find a place to park on the street anywhere close to the Battery. The unpaved road to Kirby Cove is just to the west of the Battery.